[llvm-dev] TargetSelect.h and layering

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 28 11:27:23 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:23 AM, David Blaikie via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Alternatively we can really say this header is a textual header - it's
> included generally only once in a whole program, the functions are called
> only once, etc. Though that does seem a little unfortunate on principle but
> not much practical problem with it, I think. It'd be nice in theory to be
> able to depend on the right library, have that bring in the right
> dependencies, etc.

As designed, TargetSelect.h doesn't fit neatly into the normal way of
arranging libraries. I'd mark it textual and leave it alone.

Alternatively, we could make AllTargetsDescs and AllTargetsInfos and all
the other synthetic libraries in CMake into real libaries and sink the
bodies of these inline functions into each tiny little library. Doesn't
seem quite worth it, though.