[llvm-dev] Expose aliasing information in getModRefInfo (or viceversa?)

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 23 03:52:18 PST 2017

Hi Alina,

My only concern with that design is that it seems that you can go from MustModRef into Ref or Mod, and that is not true.

Assuming my understanding of what ModRef & friends mean is correct, this is the lattice (where green are the official names, and black are my comments):

AFAIU, MustModRef means that an operation *must* read and write to the given location. Moreover, it *must* alias with that allocation.

Therefore, we cannot go from MustModRef into MayRef, because MayRef implies there’s no write; there’s at most a read.

What confused me first is that Mod has 2 “mays”: may read, and if it does it may be to the given location.

While MustMod has 2 “musts”: must read, and it must read exactly from the given location.

Your lattice doesn’t have the intermediate values (1 may + 1 must, like MustModMayAlias), but that would increase significantly the size of the lattice. I don’t know which clients would benefit of that precision increase (if any) – didn’t think about that.

Nuno