[llvm-dev] Debugging LLVM IR - Reviving the DebugIR pass

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 21 05:40:19 PST 2017

On 20 November 2017 at 10:32, Siddharth Bhat via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently felt the need to have debug info at the LLVM IR level (because my
> frontend's semantics vastly differ from IR that it doesn't make much sense
> to use it). Asm can sometimes be too "low level", so it's nice to have the
> ability to single-step at the IR level.
>
> The pass that used to do this (-debugir) bitrotted and was removed from
> tree. I spent the weekend bringing it back: https://reviews.llvm.org/D40207
>
> I'd love to have some help with reviews and tests I should write for this,
> because I don't understand the debug info side of LLVM very well.
>
> Also, is there a protocol to have a review be put on the "review corner"?

Hi Siddharth, this is documented at http://llvmweekly.org/reviewcorner
which is linked to in each issue. Pasting the guidance here for
convenience:

"""
For inclusion, the following should be true:
* Your patch has gone at least two weeks without substantial review
feedback OR this is your first patch to an LLVM project
* You have updated the patch based on any review comments received so far
* The patch has been compile tested against the current HEAD of the
appropriate LLVM project, and rebased if necessary
* You are willing to write a short two-sentence summary that explains
1) what the patch does, and 2) why people might interested.
"""

Best,

Alex