[llvm-dev] [RFC] lld: Dropping TLS relaxations in favor of TLSDESC

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 7 19:39:39 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Rafael Avila de Espindola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > executable, it knows for sure that it is not creating a DSO that will be
> > used via dlopen), the linker is allowed to rewrite instructions to load
> > thread-local variables to use a faster access model.
> >
> > What makes the situation more complicated is the presence of a new method
> > of accessing thread-local variables. After the ELF TLS spec was defined,
> > TLSDESC [2] was proposed and implemented. With that method, General
> Dynamic
> > and Local Dynamic models (that were pretty slow in the original spec) are
> > as fast as much faster Initial Exec model. TLSDESC doesn't have a
> trade-off
> > of dlopen'ability and access speed. According to [2], it also reduces the
> > size of generated DSOs. So it seems like TLSDESC is strictly a better way
> > of accessing thread-local variables than the old way, and the
> thread-local
> > variable's performance problem (that the TLS ELF spec was trying to
> address
> > by defining four different access models and relaxations in between)
> > doesn't seem a real issue anymore.
> >
> > lld supports all TLS relaxations as defined by the ELF TLS spec. I
> accepted
> > the patches to implement all these features without thinking hard enough
> > about it, but on second thought, that was likely a wrong decision. Being
> > new linker, we don't need to trace the history of the evolution of the
> ELF
> > spec. Instead, we should have implemented whatever it makes sense now.
> >
> > So, I'd like to propose we drop TLS relaxations from lld, including
> Initial
> > Exec → Local Exec. Dropping IE→LE is strictly speaking a degradation,
> but I
> > don't think that is important. We don't have optimizations for much more
> > frequent variable access patterns such as locally-accessed variables that
> > have GOT slots (which in theory we can skip GOT access because GOT slot
> > values are known at link-time), so it is odd that we are only serious
> about
> > TLS variables, which are usually much less important. Even if it would
> turn
> > out that we want it after implementing more important relaxations, I'd
> like
> > to drop it for now and reimplement it in a different way later.
> >
> > This should greatly simplifies the code because it does not only reduce
> the
> > complexity and amount of the existing code, but also reduces the amount
> of
> > knowledge you need to have to read the code, without sacrificing
> > performance of lld-generated files in practice.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I don't think we can do it.
>
> The main thing we have to keep in mind is that not everyone is using
> TLSDESC. In fact, clang doesn't even support -mtls-dialect=gnu2.

Oh, okay, that is a surprise to me. There's no reason not to support that
and make it default, I wasn't even try that. We definitely should support
that.

If everyone switches to TLSDESC, then I am OK with dropping
> optimizations for the old model.
>
> But even with TLSDESC we still need linker relaxations. The TLSDESC idea
> solves some of the GD -> IE cost in the case where the .so is not
> dlopened, but that is it. Note that AARCH64 that is TLSDESC only has
> relaxations.
>
> So I am strongly against removing either non TLSDESC support of support
> for the relaxations.

It's still pretty arguable. By default, compilers use General Dynamic model
with -fpic, and Initial Exec without -fpic. lld doesn't do any relaxation
if -shared is given. So, if you are creating a DSO, thread-local variables
in the DSO are accessed using Global Dynamic model. No relaxations are
involved.

If you are creating an executable and if your executable is not
position-independent, you're using Initial Exec model by default which is
as fast as variables accessed through GOT. If you really want to use Local
Exec model, you can pass -ftls-model=local-exec to compilers.

If you are creating a position-independent executable and you want to use
Initial Exec or Local Exec, you can do that by passing
-ftls-model={initial-exec,local-exec} to compilers.

So I don't see a strong reason to do a complicated instruction rewriting in
the linker. I feel more like we should do whatever it is instructed to do
by command line options and input object files. You are for example free to
pass the -fPIC option to create object files and still let the linker to
create a non-PIC executable, even though these combinations doesn't make
much sense and produces slightly inefficient binary. If you don't like it,
you can fix the compiler options. Thread-local variables can be considered
in the same way, no?