[llvm-dev] PSA: debuginfo-tests workflow changing slightly

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 4 15:49:36 PDT 2017

If we want to test clang-cl's CodeView output, we don't need
debuginfo-tests in the first place.  We can just use llvm-readobj or
something to dump the codeview from the object files.  If we want to test
that it works with a *real* debugger though, then we need to be testing
PDBs.

One option is to just have clang-cl emit object files and use Microsoft's
linker to link them and produce a PDB.  We will indeed probably do this, as
there is some value in this.  But at the end of the day, that does nothing
to verify that the PDBs *we* generate are kosher.  And the PDBs that we
generate come from LLD.  Actually, testing our PDBs is actually the most
important testing scenario (as opposed to testing our CodeView using MS's
linker to create the PDB), because CodeView is pretty well understood.  I
have high confidence that if our llvm-readobj CodeView tests against
clang-cl generated object files pass, that the PDB generated by Microsoft's
linker will be just fine.  But PDB is still very opaque, and there's a ton
of stuff that goes in there that is *not* CodeView and which is entirely
synthesized by the linker.  The only way to test that is to have LLD
generate the PDB.