[llvm-dev] PSA: debuginfo-tests workflow changing slightly

Vedant Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 3 18:00:56 PDT 2017

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 3:21 PM, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> If you dont' care about running debuginfo-tests, and don't maintain a bot that runs debuginfo-tests, you can stop reading.
>
> I've uploaded a patch [https://reviews.llvm.org/D39605 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D39605>] that changes the way you run debuginfo-tests.
>
> Prior to this patch, the way to run them is to clone an external git repository into clang/test and then debuginfo-tests will happen transparently when you run "ninja check-clang".
>
> After this patch, there will be two workflows depending on if you use multi-repo or mono-repo.
>
> multi-repo: You will need to clone debuginfo-tests into llvm/projects, then run "ninja check-debuginfo"
>
> mono-repo: pass -DLLVM_ENABLE_PROJECTS="debuginfo-tests", then run "ninja check-debuginfo"
>
> The motivation for this change is that planned additions to debuginfo-tests require us to be able to make use of lld, and as a result the tests need to live somewhere that can access both clang and lld, not just clang.

I'm not at all opposed to this effort, but I do wonder why this is part of the motivation. Tests in clang/test should be able to use any binary in <build-dir>/bin, right? E.g we use <build-dir>/bin/llvm-profdata for the tests in clang/test/Profile.

> Furthermore, giving them their own target "check-debuginfo" as opposed to being transparently added to check-clang makes more sense from a usability perspective.  Finally, this new approach is mono-repo friendly whereas the previous one was not.

Yep.

> I'm hoping this won't be too disturbing of a change, but please leave comments and issues on this thread or on the code rview.

We have several bots which clone debuginfo-tests to tools/clang/test, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to migrate them. I've CC'd Mike and Chris as a heads-up (or in case they have anything to add :).

thanks,
vedant