[llvm-dev] Enable STATISTIC all the time again?

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 31 07:39:28 PDT 2017

Right now, the LLVM Statistic class does not increment values if we are in
non-debug mode, unless you define LLVM_ENABLE_STATS (which, sadly, is also
not available from cmake).

Before i go and add it to cmake, i ran numbers.

I can't find a single testcase, large or small, where enabling statistics
all the time isn't completely noise.

It looks like it was disabled in march  2013.
https://reviews.llvm.org/D486

The only discussion i can find in the same time period is around fastisel
using a lot of per-instruction stats, and it causing some slow-down.

However, I can't find any actual data/testcases in this discussion at all,
and disabling stats globally is actually fairly annoying for performance
work.
:(

Does anyone have any testcases where it is actually slow that i can look at?