[llvm-dev] RFC: A new llvm-dlltool driver and llvm-lib driver improvements

Martell Malone via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 21 15:11:34 PDT 2017

Hey Peter,

How is crt0_c.c being added to the link? If crt0_c.c is supplying a
> definition of the main function I would expect it to be in an archive which
> would appear after the user supplied inputs on the command line. Archives
> and objects appearing earlier in the link have priority over archives
> appearing later, so the user's definition of main should then have priority
> over the CRT's definition. However, objects added to the link have equal
> priority, so if crt0_c.c is being added directly as an object file I would
> expect it to cause a duplicate symbol error, as its definition of main
> would conflict with the user's definition.

crt0_c.c is not being added directly to the linker, this is when linking a
simple hello world program with libmingwex.a and the other MS libraries.
A few months ago I was able to alter mingw-w64 to be able to link with msvc
link.exe, I will try pull out those patches again to produce a link repo.
It should be much clearer when MSVC links it and lld doesn't but I do feel
as though this is definitely a regression.

We should probably implement /FORCE:MULTIPLE for MSVC compatibility, but I
> don't think you should be passing it from your driver, as that would just
> be working around the bug that was presumably introduced by r289280. If you
> just want to get past this issue though, implementing it would probably
> just involve downgrading the fatal error in SymbolTable::reportDuplicate to
> a warning if /FORCE:MULTIPLE is passed.

I worked around it earlier by commenting out the path that result in an
error on duplicates earlier.
This isn't ideal of course as you mentioned.

Best,
Martell