[llvm-dev] Building LLVM using AIX native compilers

Richard Sayde via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 19 07:22:24 PDT 2017

I am experimenting with using LLVM for a project and need to determine I
could compile the LLVM libraries on AIX using the native compilers. I am
only planning on using the IR/optimization libraries and skip the code
generation step/libraries. I also don't need clang.

Due to various constraints am currently using an old version (LLVM 3.4.2).
As this is an experiment, that is OK for now. But I would like to move to
newer versions sometime if possible.

I know LLVM requires GCC, however, I found that the AIX native compilers
have GCC compatible compilers (gxlC and gxlc). I am able to configure
without errors. However, the compile step fails with some warnings
(incompatible -W options) and errors (missing endian.h include file among
others). So has anyone on the llvm-dev mailing list had experience with
this? And if so, can you share your results/methods with me?

Thanks
Richard

NOTICE from Ab Initio: This email (including any attachments) may contain
information that is subject to confidentiality obligations or is legally
privileged, and sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. If
received in error, please notify the sender, delete this email, and make
no further use, disclosure, or distribution.