[llvm-dev] Which pass should be propagating memory copies

Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 17 10:28:27 PDT 2017

Keno,
         Hmmm, seems like you are saying “copy-in-copy-out” argument semantics are required by the language,
Otherwise you would be using “by-reference" argument semantics,
And that CICO is easiest for you to represent with memcpy.

Usually there are some very subtle issues with CICO and the memory model,
Typically the original object isn’t supposed to be modified until the function returns,
IE multiple stores, especially of different values, to a field in the original object should not be visible, only the final store,
This is clearly “observable" in multithreaded programs, but can also be observable in a single threaded program
If the same object is visible from within the called function for example as a global variable
Which would be seen to have its internal values change multiple times, even though the
Intent of the language using CICO is to try to ensure all-at-once state changes (at least for single-threaded programs)

My advice, if the above applies to you, is to add a new pass to the compiler that figures out if
The transformation from memcpy to explicit multiple load/store is actually legal (won’t produce intermediate
State changes before the exit of the function which would violate the strict CICO calling convention),
And also profitable (I don’t view the code explosion of [1000000 x double] as profitable!),
Or if the transformation from “CICO" to pure “by-reference” is both legal, and profitable.

(Also, don’t forget to check what the language spec says about this function passing the object,
Or parts of it, to other functions before or after making modifications)

My advice regarding teaching GVN about memcpy is not to. It would be one thing if the memcpy
Were copying in/out a single variable, in that case the memcpy can and should be viewed as a load / store pair,
But in your case it isn’t being used that way, it is being used to copy multiple values, and the only
Logical thing that GVN could do is expand those out to multiple individual loads and stores. GVN should not
Be doing this, instead your new pass (that first checks to see if it is legal w.r.t. calling convention) is
The place to do this, or if should convert to pure “by-reference” if legal, which also shouldn’t be done in GVN.

—Peter Lawrence.