[llvm-dev] Which pass should be propagating memory copies

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 17 10:18:57 PDT 2017

Hi Peter,
There are of course many ways to approach the problem and anywhere that
does it has various trade-offs.
Trying to find any perfect place is a fools errand.
The other obvious place we have is memcpyopt.

FWIW, I don't think your earlier suggestion of converting it into stores
would work
1. There are always going to be objects large enough that the architecture
optimized memcpy is going to be faster, and we aren't always going to be
able to form them back from stores later.  So we would never just lower
everything to stores.
2. Because of #1, we're not going to get rid of memcpy and it's always
going to be valuable to teach these passes how to look through memcpy
anyway.