[llvm-dev] Which pass should be propagating memory copies

Daniel Neilson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 16 11:15:11 PDT 2017

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood the question. I’m new to the LLVM infrastructure, so I’m not sure exactly what exists to be able to do this, but I’d expect it to be some sort of combination of transforms done in sequence — instcombine to lower the memcpys, followed by some sort of data flow transform like value numbering to propagate the value stored to the stack into the second store, then some sort of dead-store. However, there’s a couple of immediate challenges that I can spot — 1) instcombine won’t lower a 32-byte store (it limits itself to lowering 8-byte memcpys and lower), and (2) the aliasing between %ptr & %dataptr might be some sort of barrier to the value numbering.

An alternative would be that value numbering would have to understand the load/store semantics of memcpy, and be smart enough to realize that it’s okay to merge these particular memcpys. There’s a ‘fixme’ in new GVN regarding memcpys in NewGVN::performSymbolicStoreEvaluation(). Perhaps that’s a place to start looking?

-Daniel