[llvm-dev] Email list just for front end developers?

Perry E. Metzger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 11 20:03:39 PDT 2017

On Thu, 11 May 2017 20:14:11 +1000 Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I think the "modern" way of doing any of this is with any one
> of the following services (that don't need to be owned/maintained
> by the LLVM Foundation):
>
>   - Stack Overflow (maybe if it gets large enough, get a "vertical"
> for just LLVM usage)

Unfortunately, stack overflow works best for questions where there
are a lot of people who know the answers and people are willing
to actively log in day after day to answer questions. It works great
for "how do I use SQL to do something" but less well for small
niches. The LLVM questions I've seen posed there seem to usually have
zero or one answers rather than the large number common things get.

>   - Reddit (if there isn't an /r/llvm yet, that might be a good
> "community" place for less llvm-dev worthy material)

Maybe. I like mailing lists because you don't have to poll them.
Having to log in constantly to a service to see if there is
discussion waiting is a bit of a pain. (I have to admit I've never
been much of a reddit fan in general.)

>   - Slack (if there isn't one yet, maybe an llvm-users slack
> instance for more persistent discussions)

There is an IRC channel already, though my experience with it as a
help mechanism has been mixed as it seems more geared towards the
middle and back end. And even if people decided this was a good idea,
without the LLVM foundation documenting it somewhere, no one will
find it.

All that said, I might be wrong and these might be the better path.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com