[llvm-dev] [lld] adding new lld target to the backend

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 11 13:43:48 PDT 2017

Hi Meng,

I'm a developer of LLD. I cannot say if it is doable without knowing more
about the processor and the ABI, but if the file format is ELF and it
doesn't require any crazy stuff beyond what the normal ELF format requires,
then the answer is probably yes.

Could you tell me more about the target you want to add?

The first document you want to read to understand the whole picture of the
linker design is http://lld.llvm.org/NewLLD.html. If you haven't read that,
please read. Almost all target-dependent code is in ELF/Target.cpp
<http://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project/tree/master/lld/ELF/Target.cpp>,
so that is probably the next file you want to read after the NewLLD
document.