[llvm-dev] RFC: SROA for method argument

Hiroshi 7 Inoue via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 11 06:39:15 PDT 2017

Thank you for the advice.
InstCombiner::SliceUpIllegalIntegerPHI splits only when the output of the
PHI node is only used by trunc or lshr+trunc (and the integer size is not
legal).
So it cannot not handle update to the field. If we extend
SliceUpIllegalIntegerPHI to support more generic cases, I feel it may
become similar to the split functionality in SROA.

Extending the split functionality (in SROA or InstCombiner) will give
higher coverage but it requires complicated (and potentially costly)
analysis.
My approach of splitting arguments in SROA preprocessing aim to cover a
common case without such complicated analysis.
Which approach is more preferable/acceptable for the community?

[FYI]
Here, I attach the IRs generated by SROA for the example in my first mail.
The output of PHI (%r.sroa.2.0) is used by the and instruction.

define signext i32 @_Z4func6record([2 x i64] %r.coerce) #0 {
entry:
  %r.coerce.fca.0.extract = extractvalue [2 x i64] %r.coerce, 0
  %r.coerce.fca.1.extract = extractvalue [2 x i64] %r.coerce, 1
  br label %for.cond

for.cond:                                         ; preds = %for.body,
%entry
  %r.sroa.2.0 = phi i64 [ %r.coerce.fca.1.extract, %entry ],
[ %r.sroa.2.8.insert.insert, %for.body ]
  %i.0 = phi i32 [ 0, %entry ], [ %inc1, %for.body ]
  %conv = sext i32 %i.0 to i64
  %cmp = icmp slt i64 %conv, %r.coerce.fca.0.extract
  br i1 %cmp, label %for.body, label %for.cond.cleanup

for.cond.cleanup:                                 ; preds = %for.cond
  %r.sroa.2.8.extract.trunc6 = trunc i64 %r.sroa.2.0 to i32
  ret i32 %r.sroa.2.8.extract.trunc6

for.body:                                         ; preds = %for.cond
  %r.sroa.2.8.extract.trunc = trunc i64 %r.sroa.2.0 to i32
  %inc = add nsw i32 %r.sroa.2.8.extract.trunc, 1
  %r.sroa.2.8.insert.ext = zext i32 %inc to i64
  %r.sroa.2.8.insert.mask = and i64 %r.sroa.2.0, -4294967296
  %r.sroa.2.8.insert.insert = or i64 %r.sroa.2.8.insert.mask,
%r.sroa.2.8.insert.ext
  %inc1 = add nsw i32 %i.0, 1
  br label %for.cond
}