[llvm-dev] FENV_ACCESS and floating point LibFunc calls

Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 10 16:57:49 PDT 2017

>Unless you want to assume that the frontend knows about all functions that backend
>knows about, which I don't think we do, I think this will essentially mean adding nobuiltin
>to all calls. This is what we do if you compile using Clang with -fno-builtin or
>-ffreestanding. This will work, although it seems better to have a dedicated attribute for this.
> no_fp_opts, no_fp_builtin or whatever.

I considered the idea of an FP-specific attribute anyway, because eventually I think I’ll want to do things with these calls that nobuiltins really should be disallowing.  It hadn’t occurred to me that the front end doesn’t know which calls we might be tinkering with.  I guess I was assuming that we’d add something to the front end to recognize the FP library calls, but I can understand why we might want to not do that.

Other than that, will this approach solve my problem?

Apart from the existing intrinsics (which I believe the front end uses for builtins?) and LibFunc handling, are there other cases I need to be thinking about?

Thanks,
Andy