[llvm-dev] Email list just for front end developers?

Thomas Krüger via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 7 08:07:25 PDT 2017

2nd try to sent this email. ^^
---

@Perry:
Thank you so much for reading and mentioning my beginner post here in
the mailing list. Let us work together: Additional mailing list, wiki,
usefull Q&A, tutorials - everything which helps newbies would be fine
for me to work on. :)

@All:
I am the author of the post Perry mentioned and I would love to see help
on my newbie questions, an "API usage" wiki or a Q&A with beginner´s
questions on the usage of the LLVM API. Before I posted, I tried to read
as much as possible in blog articles and tutorials about the LLVM API,
but most of my questions were still open (I also read the C++, Rust,
Java, Lua, Python stuff, because C examples are very rare). My last hope
was the mailling list here in end of march 2017. Since my post, I paused
my project, because I had no clue how to continue. I planned until March
a bloody beginner tutorial on how to use LLVM API with C (variables,
arrays, assignments, loops, if-then-else, structs, functions,
parameters, heap /stack allocation, use of std functions, classes,
exeptions, etc.).

The tutorials I found were often too small (just a simple int function
which delivers 42 and had no parameters or real body/block stuff), over
ten years old and totally deprecated or detailed, but with too less
focus on the LLVM API part (complex parser in C++, different approaches
for scanner in C++ and at the end just a few lines of LLVM API for the
IR generation).

Please see the beginner problems from a LLVM API perspective:
It is very, very, very, very easy to find information in the internet
about planning and creating a new programming language (lexing,
scanning, error reporting, etc.), that is not the problem here. You
hardly find no good explanation on how to use the LLVM API for
generating the final IR. If you can not find infos about this last step,
continuing with an own programming language does not make any sense,
because writing an own compiler backend instead of using the LLVM API is
nonsense, because we have this awesome LLVM, we just had no clue how to
use its API.

Best regards,
Thomas