[llvm-dev] Idea for Open Project : Smarter way of dumping LLVM IR with -emit-after-all

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 5 08:44:00 PDT 2017

Hello LLVM Devs,

I have an idea to improve effectiveness of IR dump with -emit-after-all
based on Adam Nemet's 2016 LLVM Dev presentation.
I think we can track changes in each function, basic block and instructions
by dumping it to YAML files (initially) then track changes done by each
pass incrementally as it is done in optimization remark emitter. Once we
have required information in YAML files we can present it in much readable
way (similar to diff ) through HTML technologies.
I think we can track chances in each entities by giving them a unique
number and that will also map to HTML presentation layer.
However I have not thought if existing ORE framework can be used or not for
this purpose. But if community thinks this is useful then I would like to
work on this.
Also suggest if you can find any problem with this approach.

Sincerely,
Vivek