[llvm-dev] Look up table in function section

Friedman, Eli via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 4 11:08:50 PDT 2017

On 5/4/2017 10:36 AM, Sumanth Gundapaneni via llvm-dev wrote:

> I have legit requirement to keep the switch generated lookup table in
> function section.
>
> The lookup table is being generated in SimplifyCFG pass and is treated
> as a global.
>
> Is there a good way to mark these lookup tables and recognize them
> later to keep them in function sections.

There are target hooks to suppress the generation of lookup tables, if
you need that.  See shouldBuildLookupTables and
shouldBuildLookupTablesForConstant in TargetTransformInfo.  If you need
something beyond that, you'll have to modify the transform. You can set
a section on a global, but it sounds like that isn't what you want?

In terms of putting IR globals into a function, the only precedent I can
think of is the arm-constant-promote transform.

-Eli