[llvm-dev] Help with setting up ARM embedded clang + lld

Scott Shawcroft via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 4 09:48:12 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017, at 11:51 AM, Rui Ueyama wrote:
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Renato Golin
> <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:>> On 2 May 2017 at 23:59, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:
>>  > That's interesting. Usually your code wouldn't be gc'ed because
>>  > your entire code is reachable from _start.
>>
>> Baremetal doesn't need a _start.>>
>>
>>  > Does your program depend on the feature that, if no -e option is
>>  > given, the linker sets the beginning of the .text section to the
>>  > entry point address?
>>
>> I believe that would help, yes. But there may be linker scripts that>>  can change that, so you need to be careful.
>
> If you want to do GC, you still need to teach linkers GC root symbols
> in some way, no? Otherwise, linkers cannot determine if a section is
> live or not.
Yeah totally. I had marked some sections as used previously but haven't
had a chance to look further into it. I'll try to take some time this
weekend to poke at it further.
The project I'm working on is here:
https://github.com/tannewt/circuitpython/tree/clang/atmel-samd in case
you can't wait.Thanks,