[llvm-dev] Well-formed @llvm.lifetime.start and @llvm.lifetime.end intrinsics

David Majnemer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 30 23:42:17 PDT 2017

Hmm. This doesn't jive with my understanding of how things worked.

I see the lifetime intrinsics as something which _can_ be made conditional
on arbitrary control flow. I can build a consistent view of them because I
also believe the lifetime intrinsics can only make sense when they are
paired together.

Another way of thinking about it is that a store of undef can be used to
make an earlier store dead but it can also be safely removed or even be
made conditional on arbitrary control flow. There is no non-UB way of
detecting that such a store remains or was eliminated.