[llvm-dev] Please dogfood LLD

Ed Maste via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 19 12:10:16 PDT 2017

On 19 March 2017 at 14:30, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

> perhaps its better to provide fixes to these applications to not look for
> tool specific strings. If you put such knobs into tools then you have to
> live with it for life of the tool. musl libc had similar problems where it
> exposed assumptions about libc specific implementation, musl's adherence to
> not mimic the behavior ended up in cleaning up many of the packages and
> making them more portable.

Yes, libtool is absolutely the proper place for this issue to be
fixed. That's tricky for two reasons:

1. Libtool's upstream is not responsive, so I don't anticipate this
being fixed soon. It took about a year to get a patch incorporated to
accept ELF Tool Chain's strip instead of GNU strip. Even then it
limits the check to FreeBSD, so ELF Tool Chain users on other
platforms are out of luck.

2. Parts of libtool end up embedded in the configure script of
libtool-using third party software, so even once a fix is incorporated
into libtool it will take quite some time for it to appear in new
versions of arbitrary software.

In FreeBSD I expect that we'll patch the libtool package ourselves as
a workaround, and also incorporate a workaround in the ports tree to
apply the same patch to each libtool-using package.