[llvm-dev] Saving Compile Time in InstCombine

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 18 07:43:20 PDT 2017

On 03/17/2017 08:12 PM, David Majnemer wrote:
> Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of this change as-is. The set of
> transforms that were added behind ExpensiveChecks seems awfully
> strange and many would not lead the reader to believe that they are
> expensive at all (the SimplifyDemandedInstructionBits and
> foldICmpUsingKnownBits calls being the obvious expensive routines).
>
> The purpose of many of InstCombine's xforms is to canonicalize the IR
> to make life easier for downstream passes and analyses.
>
> InstCombine internally relies on knowing what transforms it may or may
> not perform. This is important: canonicalizations may duel endlessly
> if we get this wrong; the order of the combines is also important for
> exactly the same reason (SelectionDAG deals with this problem in a
> different way with its pattern complexity field).
>
> Another concern with moving seemingly arbitrary combines under
> ExpensiveCombines is that it will make it that much harder to
> understand what is and is not canonical at a given point during the
> execution of the optimizer.

I agree with this up to a point. If we have these kinds of
canonicalization dependencies that depend on ValueTracking's depth, this
seems very fragile. Even if we introduce caching, thus making the depth
often infinite, if it will still be finite in the face of updates then
we still need to be careful (plus, if we're worried about being able to
understand the canonical form, then depending on known-bits analysis can
make defining this form subtle).

> I'd be much more interested in a patch which caches the result of
> frequently called ValueTracking functionality like ComputeKnownBits,
> ComputeSignBit, etc. which often doesn't change but is not
> intelligently reused. I imagine that the performance win might be
> quite comparable. Such a patch would have the benefit of keeping the
> set of available transforms constant throughout the pipeline while
> bringing execution time down; I wouldn't be at all surprised if
> caching the ValueTracking functions resulted in a bigger time savings.

I'd started working on this a few months ago; I didn't finish the patch
(mostly because I discovered that there's also a need to invalidate the
cache whenever to perform a transformation that drops nsw/nuw flags and
I've never got to that part), but I'm happy to provide my
work-in-progress to anyone interested. cc'ing Davide who had also
expressed an interest in this.

  -Hal

> [...]
>>
>>     Yes, the “ExpensiveCombines” has been added recently (4.0? 3.9?)
>>     but I believe has always been intended to be extended the way
>>     you’re doing it. So I support this effort :)
>
>     +1
>
>     Also, did your profiling reveal why the other combines are
>     expensive? Among other things, I'm curious if the expensive ones
>     tend to spend a lot of time in ValueTracking (getting known bits
>     and similar)?
>
>      -Hal
>

>>     CC: David for the general direction on InstCombine though.

>>>     Trying to find out, which patterns are important, and which are
>>>     rare, I profiled clang using CTMark and got the following
>>>     coverage report:
>>>     <InstCombine_covreport.html>
>>>     (beware, the file is ~6MB).
>>>
>>>     Guided by this profile I moved some patterns under the "if
>>>     (ExpensiveCombines)" check, which expectedly happened to be
>>>     neutral for runtime performance, but improved compile-time. The
>>>     testing results are below (measured for Os).
>>>
>>>     Performance Improvements - Compile Time 	Δ 	Previous 	Current 	σ
>>>     CTMark/sqlite3/sqlite3
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.15=2>
>>>     -1.55% 	6.8155 	6.7102 	0.0081
>>>     CTMark/mafft/pairlocalalign
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.1=2>
>>>     -1.05% 	8.0407 	7.9559 	0.0193
>>>     CTMark/ClamAV/clamscan
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.7=2>
>>>     -1.02% 	11.3893 	11.2734 	0.0081
>>>     CTMark/lencod/lencod
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.10=2>
>>>     -1.01% 	12.8763 	12.7461 	0.0244
>>>     CTMark/SPASS/SPASS
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.5=2>
>>>     -1.01% 	12.5048 	12.3791 	0.0340
>>>

>>>     Performance Improvements - Compile Time 	Δ 	Previous 	Current 	σ
>>>     External/SPEC/CINT2006/403.gcc/403.gcc
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.14=2>
>>>     -1.64% 	54.0801 	53.1930 	-
>>>     External/SPEC/CINT2006/400.perlbench/400.perlbench
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.7=2>
>>>     -1.25% 	19.1481 	18.9091 	-
>>>     External/SPEC/CINT2006/445.gobmk/445.gobmk
>>>     <http://michaelsmacmini.local/perf/v4/nts/2/graph?test.15=2>
>>>     -1.01% 	15.2819 	15.1274 	-
>>>

>>>     Do such changes make sense? The patch doesn't change O3, but it
>>>     does change Os and potentially can change performance there
>>>     (though I didn't see any changes in my tests).
>>>
>>>     The patch is attached for the reference, if we decide to go for
>>>     it, I'll upload it to phab:
>>>
>>>     <0001-InstCombine-Move-some-infrequent-patterns-under-if-E.patch>
>>>

>>>     Thanks,
>>>     Michael
>>>
>>>     [1]:
>>>     http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-December/108279.html
>>>     <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-December/108279.html>

>     --
>     Hal Finkel
>     Lead, Compiler Technology and Programming Languages

Hal Finkel