[llvm-dev] Is Clang compiled binary more secure than gcc

Graham Markall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 17 04:19:29 PDT 2017

> I try to make my compiled binary has more security feature like SafeStack
> or even CPI and so on, but I am not sure if Clang can really provide more
> security features than gcc in compiled object.

We are working on a number of security features for both Clang and GCC in
collaboration with Prof Elisabeth Oswald and Dr Dan Page at the University
of Bristol, and will receive a grant from the UK government to focus more
on this work over the next year.

Some of the things that we're working on are discussed in this talk at
FOSDEM: https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/security_enhanced_llvm/ ,
which is summarised in the blog post at
http://www.embecosm.com/2017/02/20/security-enhanced-compilers/

Are there particular security features that you're interested in seeing?
If so, please feel free to contact me off-list, as it would be great for
us to prioritise things that are anticipated by real-world users.

Best regards,
Graham Markall (Embecosm).