[llvm-dev] What is ConstantExpr?

Zeson Wu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 17 03:32:46 PDT 2017

Still thanks John.

Another example is that

int a;

int main(){
return 5+(long)(&a);
}

In O0 mode, IR is like blow

@a = global i32 0, align 4

; Function Attrs: noinline norecurse nounwind
define signext i32 @main() #0 {
  %1 = alloca i32, align 4
  store i32 0, i32* %1, align 4
  ret i32 trunc (i64 add (i64 ptrtoint (i32* @a to i64), i64 5) to i32)
}

In O2 mode, IR is optimized as blow.
@a = global i32 0, align 4

; Function Attrs: norecurse nounwind readnone
define signext i32 @main() local_unnamed_addr #0 {
  ret i32 trunc (i64 add (i64 ptrtoint (i32* @a to i64), i64 5) to i32)
}

I mean what's the advantage of that pattern with constantexpr since it is
introduced in O2 mode?
How does back end handle this pattern (which is a bitcast operator in my
last case in email before)?

Thanks.