[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2017] Project proposal queries

Radhika via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 16 11:06:23 PDT 2017

Thank you very much for your replies. I tinker frequently with
embedded systems and was hoping I could contribute to an `-Os` flag
for LLVM or alternately, improving code generation in the experimental
AVR backend if there is a willing mentor.

As for encoding analysis results in MachineInstr IR, it's a feature I
too sorely need in the project I'm working on. Would it be helpful to
implement a metadata-equivalent for MachineInstr so that analysis
information can be passed down from IR to MI, or attaching metadata as
a MachineOperand onto the MachineInstr ad-hoc? Would this be a
suitable project for GSoC? (I suspect this is not very complex a
project and more may be required; I may be wrong)

For the 'Improve code generation testing' project, I'd like to suggest
another improvement; adding the capability to develop code generation
passes out-of-source, like that for `opt` and IR passes, but for
code generation passes in general). I suspect this would be helpful
for people developing machine-specific passes/tools (such as for
optimizations in embedded systems). Your thoughts please?

Lastly, I will be working at a university research lab (which also
involves hacking on LLVM) over the summer. Would it still be alright
for me to apply for GSoC? If not, would it still be possible for me to
informally contribute to one of the above projects and ask the
potential mentor questions?

Sincerely,
Radhika