[llvm-dev] Use of the C++ standard library in XRay compiler-rt

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 8 14:32:47 PST 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:28 PM Tim Shen <timshen at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 1:49 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I stumbled across an issue that I think is a bit fundamental:
>
> The xray runtime uses the C++ standard library.
>
> This seems like a problem because whatever C++ standard library is used to
> compile the XRay runtime may not be the same as the C++ standard library
> (if any) that is used to build the target application and link XRay into.
>
> Does this make sense? Is this a problem?
>
> Talking to Chandler over lunch it sounds like there's a couple of options
> - either remove the dependency (much like, I believe, the sanitizer
> runtimes - use nothing from the C++ standard library, replace everything
> with custom data structures, etc) or, perhaps more drastically, change the
> way the runtimes are built such that they statically link a private version
> of, say, libc++.
>

> What's the reason of not static-linking a C++ standard library for
> sanitizer runtimes back to when it was created?

Not sure - Evgeniy (cc'd) might know. Partly perhaps the development cost
of having to isolate that statically linked library from colliding with any
other (some kind of mangling scheme would have to be used, I think? to
avoid such a collision).

> Chandler seemed to think maybe we could do this state-side (Tim? Might be
> something you could handle) rather than pushing it back on to Dean, if that
> sounds reasonable?
>

> I believe that "state-side" is LLVM team side?

Right, yes, sorry.

> I agree that we should clean up the standard library usage even just for
> consistency.
>
> Searching the xray directory for dependencies:
> ...compiler-rt/lib/xray % grep '#include <[^>.]*>' -oh `find . -type
> f|grep -v 'tests'` | sort | uniq -c
>       1 #include <algorithm>
>      10 #include <atomic>
>       1 #include <bitset>
>       6 #include <cassert>
>       1 #include <cerrno>
>       1 #include <cstddef>
>       7 #include <cstdint>
>       2 #include <cstdio>
>       1 #include <cstdlib>
>       2 #include <cstring>
>       1 #include <deque>
>       2 #include <iterator>
>       2 #include <limits>
>       2 #include <memory>
>       4 #include <mutex>
>       1 #include <system_error>
>       1 #include <thread>
>       2 #include <tuple>
>       1 #include <unordered_map>
>       1 #include <unordered_set>
>       3 #include <utility>
> I think the biggest part is containers, and they are mostly
> in ./xray_buffer_queue.h and ./xray_fdr_logging.cc.
>
> dependencies without buffer queue and fdr logging:
> ...compiler-rt/lib/xray % grep '#include <[^>.]*>' -oh `find . -type
> f|egrep -v 'tests|buffer|fdr'` | sort | uniq -c
>       9 #include <atomic>
>       4 #include <cassert>
>       1 #include <cerrno>
>       1 #include <cstddef>
>       6 #include <cstdint>
>       2 #include <cstdio>
>       1 #include <cstring>
>       2 #include <iterator>
>       2 #include <limits>
>       1 #include <memory>
>       3 #include <mutex>
>       1 #include <thread>
>       2 #include <tuple>
>       2 #include <utility>
> I believe that this is relatively easy to cleanup. I can do that.
>
> I don't know how hard it is to rewrite buffer queue and fdr logging using
> compiler_rt infrastructure.

I think buffer_queue's probably sufficiently well bounded that it shouldn't
be drastically hard to replace it with a custom implementation. Haven't
looked at fdr_logging.

Maps/dictionary-like things might be a bit of a pain in particular. Not
sure if the sanitizers already have some reusable idioms/libraries for that.

I'm also not really clear on where the boundary is - which headers or
language features ('new'?) can be used, and which can't. Can't say I've
ever tried to make code library agnostic.