[llvm-dev] Use of host/target compiler when building compiler-rt

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 8 13:54:22 PST 2017

I stumbled across what seems to be a bug (to me) in the compiler-rt build:

The compiler-rt libraries themselves are built with the host compiler while
the tests are built and then linked with the just-built clang.

It was my understanding that the goal/intent/need was to have the
compiler-rt library build with the just-built clang? Did I misunderstand
that?*

Sterling: Chandler seemed to think you might be interested in this issue &
possibly addressing it given you're working on compiler-rt bring-up? It'd
probably be useful to have compiler-rt built with the just-built clang for
performance reasons.

Evgeniy - not sure if you're interested in this or have much context? Know
if this is right/wrong/neutral, etc?

* reasons include performance, ABI compatibility, etc (I thought this was
necessary for correctness in some way) - also, otherwise it seems excessive
to hold up the whole build on waiting for just-built clang to finish, then
use that to compile some tests. (well, I realize some of the tests are
end-to-end, so they do need the just-built compiler)