[llvm-dev] [lld] We call SymbolBody::getVA redundantly a lot...

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 1 17:08:14 PST 2017

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:
>
>> I also did a quick profiling a few months ago and noticed just like you
>> that scanRelocations consumes a fairly large percentage of overall
>> execution time. That caught my attention because at the time I was looking
>> for a place that I can parallelize.
>>
>> scanRelocations is not parallelizable as-is because it does some global
>> operations as side effects such as adding new symbols to GOT/PLT. My idea
>> is to split the function into two halves. In the first half, we scan
>> relocations and mark some symbols in parallel. In the second half, we add
>> them to GOT/PLT.
>>

> Won't that require scanning all symbols in the second pass? I think that
> we want to do O(number of GOT/PLT entries) work (and cache footprint) in
> the second pass instead of O(symbols).

It will, but it might not be that bad than you imagined, because number of
global symbols are much smaller than the number of relocations. For
exmaple, at SymbolTable.cpp#673
<https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project/blob/0ad2ea48e8fa9b6243c2ec20b57b4268c279f9bf/lld/ELF/SymbolTable.cpp#L673>,
it iterates over all non-local symbols, but that is pretty cheap (which
surprised me at first.)

>> I think it's doable although I haven't actually tried that yet.
>> Relocation processing is one of the most complex things in LLD at least
>> partly due to the nature of the ELF format, and it is not easy to hack that
>> code to try some new ideas. But it should be worth a try.
>>

> Yes, I noticed too that this code has a lot of essential complexity.
> However, it looks like it has grown organically, so there are likely
> opportunities to simplify it.
>

>> I believe it has a potential to make LLD 10% or more faster, as
>> scanRelocations currently takes more than 20% of total execution time.
>>

> Wasn't there the idea also of merging this scan into the final relocation
> processing?
>
> In the code, it says:
> ```
> // The reason we have to do this early scan is as follows
> // * To mmap the output file, we need to know the size
> // * For that, we need to know how many dynamic relocs we will have.
> ```
>
> But I think you can resize a memory mapping (e.g. ftruncate) to add data
> at the end. Or conservatively overallocate and then truncate at the end
> (pages we don't touch won't be allocated, so the overallocation shouldn't
> cost too much)

Putting a variable length thing at end of a file works only if you have
only one variable-sized stuff. There could be multiple variable-size things
in linkers, such as string table, GOT, PLT, thunks, etc. So it is probably
hard to do that. Also, it doesn't work for linker scripts if linker scripts
enforces some specific section layout.