[llvm-dev] [LLD] Adding WebAssembly support to lld

Sam Clegg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 30 16:46:20 PDT 2017

Hi llvmers,

As you may know, work has been progressing on the experimental
WebAssembly backend in llvm.  However,  there is currently not a good
linking story.  Most the of existing linking strategies (i.e. those in
the emscripten toolchain) involve bitcode linking and whole program
compilation at link time.

To improve this situation I've been working on adding a wasm backend
for lld.   My current work is here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D34851

Although this port is not ready for production use (its missing
several key features such as comdat support and full support for weak
aliases) its already getting a some testing on the wasm waterfall:
https://wasm-stat.us/builders/linux

I'm hopeful that my patch may now be at an MVP stage that could be
considered for merging into upstream lld.  Thoughts?  LLD maintainers,
would you support the addition of a new backend?

cheers,
sam