[llvm-dev] The undef story

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 29 16:31:48 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Mehdi,
>            I think the following was the point of the conversation,
> That both those examples are illegal C programs.
> They are both “undefined behavior” because they both
> use a shift amount that is too large.
> They both should have been rejected by the compiler
> even though they weren’t.
> Hal agrees wth this assessment,
> That’s why we’re waiting for a more complete example.
>
> My belief is that undefined behavior is an optimization hazard,
> Not an optimization opportunity.  Its just a belief, I could be proved
> Wrong at any moment, but it feels right to me.
>
> I would start looking for a more complete example myself, but my
> Belief is so strong that "optimizing undefined behavior" seems
> like a self-contradiction to me, and I don’t know where to
> Even start looking.
>
> I write compiler test programs in my spare time as a hobby,
> (which someday I’d like to contribute to llvm)
> So it’s not like I don’t have the knowledge or the inclination,
> I just don’t know how to approach this problem.

Hi Peter, were you able to get set up with LLVM's test-suite?

As Tim helpfully mentioned, you should be able to compile test-suite as
32-bit on your Mac without issues by using the -m32 flag like usual.

Once you have that set up and have measured the performance impact of
-fwrapv, pinpointing the causes of any regressions would be a good place to
start. I understand that you feel like you have a strong intuition about
this and aren't expecting any regressions, but you really need to put that
to the test for us to take you seriously, as our intuition is the opposite
(and usually backed up by specific examples from our professional
experience, like the example that Hal mentioned).

-- Sean Silva