[llvm-dev] The undef story

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 29 07:17:59 PDT 2017

> I'd like to politely ask for whoever is capable of putting their ego aside
> for a minute and re-approach things from a pure technical perspective.

Peter is not willing  do so, why should others?

> #1 Is there technical merit to what Peter is trying to convey? if yes
> please reset.
>
> No, sorry, this makes no sense.

> Shouldn't we all be a little empathetic to the engineers who are
> brilliant, but sometimes have a few rough edges?

People are empathetic. That is why they have spent time trying to help.

But past that, no, there is not enough genius to make up for being an
asshole.

Any company that has enough people has learned this over time.

People don't get a pass for being smart.
All the others on this thread are *also* brilliant, but somehow, they are
able to conform their behavior to accepted social norms.

Part of being a "brilliant" high level engineer is being able to present
your ideas in a way that isn't offensive to others.
In fact, part of that role is being able to convince others to go along
with you.
Otherwise, i'd argue, you are not as brilliant or high level as you think.

> If the tone of an email comes across the wrong way, I thought there was an
> established way to try to positively handle the situation?
>
> People have repeatedly tried.

I'd actually urge the opposite of you.  People should not be engaging here
until a discussion can be had in a normal manner without repeated insults,
etc.

Anything else sends a very wrong message about our community.