[llvm-dev] Next steps for optimization remarks?

Brian Gesiak via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 22:50:02 PDT 2017

Please excuse all the questions! Circling back to this:

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Adam Nemet <anemet at apple.com> wrote:
>
> I expect that some sort of binary encoding of YAML would speed up parsing but I haven’t researched this topic yet...

I was under the impression that YAML had some sort of standard binary
encoding format, sort of like JSON and BSON [1], but this doesn't
appear to be the case. Did you have something specific in mind here,
or did you mean having optimization remarks optionally emit a
different, non-human-readable format? If so, MessagePack [2] or
protocol buffers [3] appear to be widely used.

[1] http://bsonspec.org
[2] http://msgpack.org/index.html
[3] https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/

- Brian Gesiak