[llvm-dev] Testing utility for building and updating CFG

Jakub (Kuba) Kuderski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 18:47:42 PDT 2017

Tobias, David,

Thanks for sharing your opinions and concerns.

After some prototyping and an offline discussion with David, I think that
it would be better to take a few steps back of the initial proposal. At
this point it is not clear if and how such a tool would be useful for
testing things other than dominators. It would certainly be a burden to
commit and later maintain even a very small and simplistic DSL, especially
if it was to be exposed by other tools (e.g. opt).

I believe that a better way forward would be to create a small and simple
library-only solutions used only by dominator tests -- at least for now. I
created a prototype which you can find here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D34798
.

With this design it shouldn't be expensive to extend it later, when it
gains actual users (like the mentioned LoopInfo and NewGVN), or to even
create a think wrapper for handling a custom DSL.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
~Kuba

Jakub Kuderski