[llvm-dev] The nsw story revisited

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 12:34:24 PDT 2017

On 06/28/2017 02:18 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:09 PM Peter Lawrence
> <peterl95124 at sbcglobal.net <mailto:peterl95124 at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>
>     Chandler,
>                     Please give some citations, I’ve search the
>     llvm-dev archives and didn't find any.
>

> They are all in the discussions from Nuno, Sanjoy, John and others
> around poison semantics. I won't be able to find the citations any
> easier than you, I simply wanted to point out that rather than
> conclude this is novel, you should probably ask folks who have
> participated in these discussions for reference points that they may have.

Peter, I'll also point out that, in general, information on the subject
of our UB handling is also spread throughout numerous bug reports, patch
reviews, and in addition, has been the subject of many, many hours of
in-person discussions. The fact that there's no one place to get a good
in-depth overview is something that we, as a community, should strive to
improve. This is a very important topic. However, I can assure you that
what you've found by searching llvm-dev is only part of the relevant
history.

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel