[llvm-dev] My experience using -DLLVM_BUILD_INSTRUMENTED_COVERAGE to generate coverage

Friedman, Eli via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 26 19:24:20 PDT 2017

On 6/19/2017 7:29 PM, Vedant Kumar wrote:

>>> We can reduce testing time by *not* instrumented basic tools like
>>> count, not, FileCheck etc. I filed: llvm.org/PR33501
>>> <http://llvm.org/PR33501>.

>>> I don't have any ideas about how to fix this. You can decrease the
>>> space overhead for raw profiles by altering
>>> LLVM_PROFILE_MERGE_POOL_SIZE from 4 to a lower value.
>>
>> Disk space is cheap, but the I/O takes a long time.  I guess it's
>> specifically bad for LLVM's "make check", maybe not so bad for other
>> cases.
>
> You can speed up "make check" a bit by using non-instrumented versions
> of count, not, FileCheck, etc.

I tried looking into this a bit more.  It looks like the profile data
file generated by llc contains approximately 5MB of counters
(__llvm_prf_cnts), 10MB of "data" (__llvm_prf_data), and 70MB of
__llvm_prf_names.  __llvm_prf_data and __llvm_prf_names contain which
can be read from the original binary, as far as I can tell. The 80MB of
data wouldn't be a big deal if it were just sitting on disk... but we
also erase the whole file and rewrite it from scratch after we merge
profile counters.

Can we do better here?

-Eli