[llvm-dev] Question about legal integer type

陳韋任 via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 26 06:11:11 PDT 2017

Hi All,

  I'd like to ask a question to see if i8 is legal or illegal type on
our target. We only support load/store for i8.
As for other operations, we usually do the following,

    loadi8   32-bit reg A, address
    addi32  32-bit reg A, imm

In other words, we will load i8 into a 32-bit register, then apply
32-bit operation on it. In this case, is i8 a legal
or illegal type? Currently, we treats it as *illegal*, but I find some
optimizations will be skipped. For example,
in InstCombiner::visitTrunc [1], it calls shouldChangeType, which
checks both Src and Dest are legal type,
then do optimization if shouldChangeType returns true.

Thanks.

[1] http://llvm.org/doxygen/InstCombineCasts_8cpp_source.html#l00517

Regards,
chenwj