[llvm-dev] reviving LLVM on Solaris x86/SPARC platform

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 21 11:57:16 PDT 2017

Hi, Fedor,

That's good news. As you've indicated, the best way to get the changes
reviewed is to break them into small pieces with good regressions tests.
These should be uploaded to our code-review site
(https://reviews.llvm.org/, see
http://llvm.org/docs/Phabricator.html#requesting-a-review-via-the-web-interface
for more information). Please make sure the patch descriptions fully
describe the changes being proposed, and take care to follow the
instructions regarding generating full-context diffs and adding the
correct mailing lists as subscribers for each review.

  -Hal

On 06/21/2017 01:43 PM, Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> as some of you surely know, current state of LLVM on Solaris platform is far
> from being ideal.
>
> Recently here at Oracle we have started putting effort into actually
> making LLVM/Clang on Solaris (both x86 and SPARC) a good citizen.
>
> We have both intent and (finally) legal permissions to contribute into the trunk,
> and we have already developed a set of - now small and hopefully clean ;) - patches
> that address main deficiencies:
>
>      - makefiles tweaked to be functional in all compilation modes
>        (say, for ninja build)
>
>      - Clang's gcc toolchain detection fixed
>        (especially to handle multiple gccs installed on a system vs. hardcoded paths)
>
>      - TLS relocations handling for SPARC fixed
>
>      - JIT relocations handling for SPARC implemented
>
> After these changes we are able to bootstrap clang (which is completely
> impossible with current trunk on SPARC/Solaris).
> As well as successfully build/test serious apps like MySQL.
>
> We would very much like to hit 5.0 release with these changes,
> however with currently published schedule it is clear that we
> will need your extra help and will to review/integrate our patches.
>
> I'm thus asking for advice - how can we possibly make that 5.0 target without
> dropping quality of reviews? Any volunteers to help specifically with these reviews?
>
> Note, that we dont have commit rights yet...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fedor Sergeev, Oracle compiler teamm

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility