[llvm-dev] [SPIR-V] SPIR-V in LLVM

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 21 11:06:49 PDT 2017

At least in principle LLVM is designed to have Targets that are not based on lib/CodeGen.

Looking at the APIs it should be possible to just implement TargetMachine (but not LLVMTargetMachine which is only meant for lib/CodeGen targets) and register that with the target registry.

Note that I have never actually done so, so I may be missing some things. It also seems the last non-CodeGen target in public tree was the cpp target which was removed a few years ago so hopefully the API has not regressed without testing.

Still I think it would be a good idea to at least evaluate/try this as I've got the feeling lib/CodeGen may get more in the way than being helpful in this case...

- Matthias