[llvm-dev] [CFI] Manually linking classes that have no inheritance link

Enes Göktaş via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 19 08:16:45 PDT 2017

As you noted the class links are actually of the whitelisting kind and not
of the blacklisting kind. Doing this with an attribute is pretty
interesting and sounds like a better fit to me.
I think this could look something like:

__attribute__((compatible_vtable_layout("JSComponentMath",
"JSComponentImage")))
class ProxyClass{
public:
}

Would this be more admissible?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Evgenii Stepanov <eugenis at google.com>
wrote:

> Well I find the changes necessary to support this exceptionally simple
> and obviously safe. All additional risk is on the whitelist user side,
> and it does not even compare with blanket whitelisting of libc++ ;)
>
> Having said that, source annotations should be preferred to whitelists
> when possible. This could be a class __attribute__ declaring that the
> class is layout-compatible with some other class.
>
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com>
wrote:
> > -krasin@
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com>
wrote:

> >> Yes. Take a look at other tests in llvm/projects/compiler-rt/test/cfi
> >>
> >> (I did not study your patch or tests in detail yet, and probably won't
> >> have time until mid Jul. But others may)
> >>
> >> My major concern with any such patch is that it complicates the
> >> implementation.
> >> For many parts of compiler extra complexity is acceptable, but CFI is a
> >> security mitigation feature and as such should be minimal.
> >>
> >> --kcc

XPCOM to
can be used
However, it is