[llvm-dev] Some questions about software pipeline in LLVM 4.0.0

Ehsan Amiri via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 18 23:55:13 PDT 2017

Hi Brendon

Certainly, there are some real copies that end up being generated, but I think it's better to exclude the copies from the schedule since most will be eliminated.

I was wondering what was the cause of the real copies that was being generated in your experience? Something that I noticed when experimenting with LLVM on our out-of-tree backend, was that there are copy instructions generated **because of** modulo scheduling.

For example before modulo scheduling I have

%vreg6<def> = PHI %vreg23, <BB#1>, %vreg17
%vreg25<def> = INSN1 %vreg1, %vreg6;
% vreg26<def> = INSN1 %vreg2, %vreg6     <-- same opcode as previous insn
% vreg17<def> = INSN2 %vreg6, %vreg5;

So for the phi node here, if we do phi elimination and register coalescing, we won't have any copy insn left. But after modulo scheduling the instructions above, now appear like this:

%vreg73<def> = PHI %vreg59, <BB#5>, %vreg62, <BB#6>;
%vreg61<def> = INSN1 %vreg1, %vreg73;
%vreg62<def> = INSN2 %vreg73, %vreg5;
%vreg64<def> = INSN1 %vreg2, %vreg73;

Now if you look right after the third insn after modulo scheduling, both vreg73 and vreg62 are live here. So when we remove the corresponding phi instruction, we end up with a copy instruction that cannot be removed by register coalescing.

IIUC, this is a byproduct of modulo scheduling. I have not really started tuning modulo scheduling for our target, so I don't know if this is a result of modulo scheduling not being tuned or not? Have you seen this type of Copy? Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ehsan