[llvm-dev] LLC does not do proper copy propagation (or copy coalescing)

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 16 16:28:22 PDT 2017

   Hello.
     Wei-Ren, as I've pointed out in the previous email: the piece of code below has the
deficiency that it uses register R5 instead of using R0 - this happens because in LLVM IR
I created 2 variables, varIndexInner and varIndexOuter, since I have 2 loops and the
variable has to be iterated in the inner loop and I need to preserve its value when going
to the next iteration for the outer loop.
       // NOTE: my processor accepts loops in the form of REPEAT(num_times)..END_REPEAT
       R0 = ...
       REPEAT(256)
         R5 = R0; // basically unnecessary reg. copy
         REPEAT(256)
           R10 = LS[R4];
           R2 = LS[R5];
           R4 = R4 + R1;
           R5 = R5 + R1; // should be R0 = R0 + R1
           R10 = R2 * R10;
           R3 = R3 + R10;
         END_REPEAT;
         REDUCE R3;
         R0 = R5; // basically unnecessary reg. copy
       END_REPEAT;

     The reason the RegisterCoalescer.cpp is not able to optimize this problem I mentioned
about is that R0 and R5 have interfering live intervals.

     I'm trying to implement a case to handle this optimization I want in
RegisterCoalescer.cpp, but it seems a bit complicated. (However, it seems more natural to
do a standard copy propagation with Data Flow Analysis on the MachineBasicBlocks with
virtual registers, after coming out of SSA form. Muchnick's book from 1997 talks in detail
about this in Section 12.5.)

     More exactly the registers and copies concerned for the above ASM code (copying text
from the stderr of llc) are:
       BB#0:
         vreg99 = 0 // IMPORTANT: this instruction is dead and I guess if it is DCE-ed
RegisterCoalescer.cpp would be able to optimize my code

       BB#1:
         vreg94 = some_data_offset

       BB#3:
         vreg99 = COPY vreg94 // This copy does propagate

       BB#4:
         vreg61 = LOAD vreg99
         vreg99 = ADD vreg99, 1
         jmp_cond BB#4, BB#9

       BB#9:
         vreg94 = COPY vreg99 // This copy does NOT propagate
         jmp_cond BB#3

     Can somebody tell me how can I run the Dead Code Elimination and then
RegisterCoalescer again in LLC in order to see if I can maybe optimize this piece of code?

     I'm interested in doing this optimization since the code runs on a very wide SIMD
processor and every instruction counts.

   Thank you very much,
     Alex