[llvm-dev] [poison] re: is select-of-select to logic+select allowed ?

Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 6 20:25:53 PDT 2017

Nuno,
Sanjoy,
            Can you provide some actual C source code examples that show how
End-to-end-miscompilations have resulted from the presence of “UB” in
Select statements ?

Thanks,
Peter Lawrence.

PS, IMHO “plain asci” isn’t that hard !

Summary table of what each transformation allows for
        %z = select %c, %x, %y
Each column is a different alternative of semantics for select:

1.   UB if %c poison + conditional poison

2.   UB if %c poison + poison if either %x/%y poison

3.   Conditional poison + non-det choice if %c poison

4.   Conditional poison + poison if %c poison**

5.   Poison if any of %c/%x/%y are poison

            option    1   2   3   4   5

SimplifyCFG           ✓   .   ✓   ✓   .

Select->control-flow  ✓   ✓   .   .   .

Select->arithmetic    .   ✓   .   .   .

partially             ✓   .   .   .   .

Select removal        ✓   ✓   ✓   ✓   ✓

Select hoist          ✓   ✓   ✓   .   .

Easy movement         .   .   ✓   ✓   ✓

IMHO, the 3rd and 4th options are the ones that work best.  Instructions with UB are usually a pain (for e.g. hoisting out o
f loops).