[llvm-dev] trying to get a minimal windows program linked with lld

Shoaib Meenai via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 4 14:50:02 PDT 2017

Oops; I forgot that attachments wouldn't work. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrdbljl1q1nv5dy/kernel32.lib?dl=1

On 6/4/17, 2:46 PM, "llvm-dev on behalf of Shoaib Meenai via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org on behalf of llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

    +ruiu and compnerd, since there might be an lld issue here.

    A slightly simpler example. This is all x86_64; I haven't tried x86.

    % cat imp.c
    __declspec(dllimport) void ExitProcess(unsigned exitCode);
    int mainCRTStartup() { ExitProcess(0); }

    % cat kernel32.def
    LIBRARY kernel32
    EXPORTS
      ExitProcess

    % dlltool –d kernel32.def –l kernel32.lib
    % cl /Zl /c imp.c
    % link /subsystem:console imp.obj kernel32.lib

    The above executable runs successfully, as does one compiled with ld:
    % ld --version
    GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.28
    % ld imp.obj kernel32.lib

    If we compile with lld, however:
    % lld-link /subsystem:console /entry:mainCRTStartup imp.obj kernel32.lib

    The resulting executable segfaults, and it doesn't actually have any imports:
    % llvm-readobj -coff-imports imp.exe
    File: imp.exe
    Format: COFF-x86-64
    Arch: x86_64
    AddressSize: 64bit

    Given that both link.exe and MinGW-w64's ld are able to handle the import
    library correctly, I'm inclined to believe this is an issue with lld. I'm
    attaching the kernel32.lib output by dlltool for ease of investigation.