[llvm-dev] How the LLVM handle the debug location information of continue keyword and right brace(loop end location)?

Frozen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 3 00:48:41 PDT 2017

Hi paulr:
    Thanks for your kindly response. Maybe I don't describe my question cleanly, let me show more information. From my side, I notice that whether we are in the continue keyword mode or we are in the right brace mode, the target of br instruction is the same, i.e. for loop

     Continue Keyword Mode:

; <label>:6:                                      ; preds = %3
  br label %7, !dbg !23

; <label>:7:                                      ; preds = %6
  %8 = load i32, i32* %2, align 4, !dbg !25
  %9 = add nsw i32 %8, 1, !dbg !25
  store i32 %9, i32* %2, align 4, !dbg !25
  br label %3, !dbg !27, !llvm.loop !28

   Right Brace Mode:
   ; <label>:6:                                      ; preds = %3
  br label %7, !dbg !23

; <label>:7:                                      ; preds = %6
  %8 = load i32, i32* %2, align 4, !dbg !25
  %9 = add nsw i32 %8, 1, !dbg !25
  store i32 %9, i32* %2, align 4, !dbg !25
  br label %3, !dbg !27, !llvm.loop !28

There are only different line number of !dbg!23. But my concern and question is:  Why continue keyword can be emitted but right brace won't be emitted, and debbuger can stop at continue keyword statement but won't stop at right brace statement? I know left / right brace is just to group and right brace statement should not be emitted debug location information. But the br instruction is the same and only has different line number information in the debug metadata, how the llvm distinguish this is meaningful statement and not right brace?