[llvm-dev] RTTI with smart pointers

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 31 14:09:59 PDT 2017

If you don't expect the cast to fail because you have special knowledge
about its derived type, then you should just use std::static_pointer_cast.
If you do think it might fail at runtime and the only way to know is to try
the dynamic_cast, then you have to use the llvm casting infrastructure
because it is basically LLVM's replacement for dynamic_cast and RTTI.  So
it's up to you to add support for classof() etc to the base and derived.
Then you can write:

if (llvm::isa<Derived>(x.get())) {
  auto p = std::static_pointer_cast<Derived>(x);
}

I don't think we have an llvm::shared_dyn_cast<>, but it might be
reasonable to add one that encapsulated the above if-statement so that you
could write:

if (auto p = llvm::shared_dyn_cast<Derived>(x)) {
}