[llvm-dev] GEP with a null pointer base

Peter Lawrence via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 21 22:44:58 PDT 2017

Mehdi,
           Hal’s transformation only kicks in in the *presence* of UB, and
it does not matter how that UB got there, whether by function inlining
or without function inlining.

The problem with Hal’s argument is that the compiler does not have
a built in ouija board with which it can conjure up the spirit of the
author of the source code and find out if the UB was intentional
with the expectation of it being deleted, or is simply a bug.
Function inlining does not magically turn a bug into not-a-bug, nor
does post-inlining simplification magically turn a bug into not-a-bug.

Let me say it again:  if the compiler can find this UB (after whatever
optimizations it takes to get there) then the static analyzer must
be able to do the same thing, forcing the programmer to fix it
rather than have the compiler optimize it.

Or, to put it another way:  there is no difference between a compiler
and a static analyzer [*]. So regardless of whether it is the compiler or
the static analyzer that finds any UB, the only rational thing to do with
it is report it as a bug.

Peter Lawrence.

[* in fact that’s one of the primary reasons Apple adopted llvm, to use
  It as a base for static analysis]