[llvm-dev] Test Error Paths for Expected & ErrorOr

Stefan Gränitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 27 05:09:51 PDT 2017

Hello, this is a call for feedback: opinions, improvements, testers..

I use the support classes Expected<T> and ErrorOr<T> quite often
recently and I like the concept a lot! Thanks Lang btw!
However, from time to time I found issues in the execution paths of my
error cases and got annoyed by their naturally low test coverage.

So I started sketching a test that runs all error paths for a given
piece of code to detect these issues. I just pushed it to GitHub and
added a little readme:
https://github.com/weliveindetail/ForceAllErrors-in-LLVM

Are there people on the list facing the same issue?
How do you test your error paths?
Could this be of use for you if it was in a reusable state?
Is there something similar already around?
Anyone seeing bugs or improvements?
Could it maybe even increase coverage in the LLVM test suite some day?

Thanks for all kinds of feedback!
Cheers, Stefan

--
https://weliveindetail.github.io/blog/