[llvm-dev] armv7 pc-rel bx thumb instruction

Jonas Devlieghere via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 26 13:56:34 PDT 2017

Hi Tim,

Thank you for clarifying what the error actually means! I did read
something about the BLX instruction but since I'm compiling strictly for
thumb, it didn't make much sense to me. Adding -mdisable-tail-calls as a
cc1 command indeed allowed me to link the generated binary.

After looking some more at the ld64 source code, I came across the
following comment:

// The tail-call optimization may result in a function ending in a jump (b)
// to another functions.  At compile time the compiler does not know
// if the target of the jump will be in the same mode (arm vs thumb).
// The arm/thumb instruction set has a way to change modes in a bl(x)
// instruction, but no instruction to change mode in a jump (b) instruction.
// In those rare cases, the linker needs to insert a shim of code to
// make the mode switch.

So it seems that a branch island is glue code added by the linker to do the
actual mode switch if necessary. But why would we need a mode switch for a
jump to a function that is also in thumb mode? And why is the branch island
arm code and not thumb? Would you mind helping me understand how these
branch islands work? I'd love to comprehend what's actually going on here.

Thanks again for your help!

Jonas