[llvm-dev] [llvm] r303387 - [InstCombine] add more tests for xor-of-icmps; NFC

Davide Italiano via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 21 12:05:47 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Sanjay Patel <spatel at rotateright.com> wrote:
> [adding llvm-dev for wider audience]
>

> Can you recommend papers or projects to look at to get a better
> understanding of an optimal graph rewriter? LLVM is the only compiler I've
> worked on from the inside, so I don't really know what else is possible /
> feasible.

Sorry, I realized this never got a reply.

If I were you, I'd start from
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.22.8495&rep=rep1&type=pdf

When I last looked at this area [for different purposes, many years
ago] I found GrGen nice to play with (to understand/visualize the
problem).
http://ai2-s2-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/a509/550d8427c210f6a5900c12733181e9a2e862.pdf

The algebraic approach to graph rewriting requires a very superficial
knowledge of categories, as the problem is stated in terms of graph
homomorphism, but I wouldn't worry too much , TBH, unless you want to
dig into the theory behind this.

Thanks,

--
Davide

"There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more
or less solved" -- Henri Poincare